Before getting into the best ways to do on-page optimization, let me give you a brief about “what is on-page SEO?”
On-page SEO means what we do or how we optimize our website to get more recognition from the search engine to rank high.
Here website content plays a major role in getting a high rank and keeping up the search engine’s algorithm to rank high.
If a user is searching something on a search engine like Google, Yahoo, or Bing, the search engine should bring up that result on top which is of high quality and relevance. For instance, if a user is searching for the best phones under Rs. 10000 so the search engine will bring up those results which are of high quality in terms of content and how well it is organized and relevant.
By relevant here I mean if the content solves the purpose or not. So even if the content is of high quality but if it does not solve the purpose then the content is not relevant and will not get a click.
There is an algorithm of every search engine which decides the quality and relevancy of every website content and blog posts and ranks the website according to what a user is searching for. With each algorithm update, the search engines are getting closer to the human level of intelligence in terms of ranking the website.
Now we will look at different on-page SEO factors.
On-page SEO factors
- Page speed – People like websites that load and have their internal navigation fast. Every search especially Google does keep a check on that as it enhances user experience. There are different tools to check page load speed about which I will discuss later.
- Title tag – It is the title of your website, which appears on the browser bar. It has a huge effect on the on-page SEO.
- Meta Description – It is the description of the website which you see below the website name and URL in the search engine results.
- H1 heading tags – The title of any article or blog post of a website has to be wrapped under the H1 heading tag and subheadings under H2 heading tags and so on.
- URL Keywords – URL should be keyword rich and I will talk about the keyword and keyword searching later in detail.
- Keyword in content – The keyword that we use in the content matters a lot.
- LSI keyword – It is called the latent semantic index. So if you have keywords that are relevant to the main keywords, you should include those keywords in your article as well.
- Image ALT tag – This is the tag that describes the name of the image or images that you use on your website which Google and different search recognizes.
- Internal links – These are the links on your website that directs someone to another page or category on your website.
- Content length – It should be higher and of a minimum of 2 – 3 thousand words.
- Footer credits – These are the credits or the name which along with the copyright symbol we mention. The name should be on your website and should be hyperlinked.
Best ways to do on-page SEO
You should be focusing on organizing your content in a good manner that would please the visitor to your website. Like where should I keep important aspects of a website on which side, what colors should be used according to the context of a website, what should be included in the header and footer, what should be there on the homepage, and how it should be designed and much more.
Now this aspect of an on-page SEO could comfortably be handled by an esteemed website developer and designer. You only have to tell them what should be there and where.
- Page speed
We should always make your that our website is opening as less as possible time. According to many research papers, users expect a page or a website to load in 2 seconds.
- First of all, for a good website or page load speed, you should use a good web hosting service like Bluehost or GoDaddy, which are considered among the best in India.
- If you are using WordPress then you should use a caching plugin called W3 Total Cache. The caching plugin will not put a lot of load on a server and also will help in fast page loading.
- Do not use high size images on your website or blog. There are many websites like Pixabay and Pexels through which you can get far less size high-resolution images. If you are using your high-resolution image then do compress through many online tools like tinyPNG and there are many WordPress plugins available for that purpose. Some of the reputed tools to check page load speed are Pingdom, page speed insights by Google, and GT matrix.
Keywords are the terms or what users are searching on Google or any other search engine. So you should use those keywords i.e. what users are searching for, on your website, and blog. Keywords can be long tail, in the form of a phrase, and short tail consists of just one or two words.
Best free online tools for keyword research
- Google keyword planner
- Title, meta description, and URL
As discussed previously, the title is one of the most important factors in on-page SEO. The title is a strong relevancy signal to a search engine. When the users search for something then it should be relevant to what is there in your title. According to research by a company called CPC strategy, the words on the left side of the title have more weightage than the words on the right side. Hence include keywords on the left side of your title.
Include keywords in the URL and Meta description also.
Another thing I would like to say that according to many reports and researches, short URLs perform better than long URLs which consist of dates also. Do not include dates; include only your website name and the first two words of your title which will also act as keywords.
- Content length
According to many reports and researches, it has been found that ideally, you should have at least 2500 to 3000 words in any article or blog post with good high-resolution images of less size with the alt tags that consist of the name assigned to an image and hyperlinked explanatory or illustrative videos that explain your content.
I would suggest you not upload videos to your server which would unnecessarily increase the load and slow your website. Instead, upload it on your YouTube channel and link them from there.
- Use LSI keywords
LSI means latent semantic keywords. These are those keywords that we find directly on the search bar of any search engine. For instance, if we search “best phones under 10000” then automatically Google will show other similar queries. These are LSI keywords.
Now utilizing this opportunity, we can use the similar queries shown by Google and other search engines as keywords in content which will of course be relevant.
- Footer credit
Last but not least use your credits i.e. the name of your website with a copyright symbol. The name of the website should be hyperlinked, which would direct visitors to your website, as that would also increase your domain authority.
You can either get it changed with the help of a web developer or there are many plugins available on WordPress if your website is built on WordPress.
I hope this guide is helpful to you. Do like and share if you like it.